Thursday, May 19, 2011

Entry Four: Arrows

Once I started looking for arrows, I began seeing them everywhere.  I found arrows on the computer (even the mouse pointer), computer keyboard, my cell phone, the dvd player, the remote control, and many more places.  Most of the arrows I found around my home were on electronic devices.  In fact, there are 17 arrows on my computer keyboard alone.  The overwhelming use of the arrow symbol may be due to the ability for the arrow to be easily comprehended across diverse societies. 

Outside of my home, I found more arrows.  There were arrows on the garbage can and recycle to indicate which way to face the can (towards the road) for pick-up.  There was also the recycle symbol (a triangular set of three arrows) on the recycle can.  I found arrows on road signs that indicate which way the road turns or the area in which only certain individuals may park in the parking lot.  I began looking "outside the box" and saw that an agave plant in my backyard had tall stems pointing upward as an arrow toward the sun.  I found that many plants follow this same directional pattern; pointing upward, as an arrow stretching towards its target.

In Phil Patton's article Setting Sights on the Arrow, he mentions the universal use of the arrow symbol.  Patton stated, "The arrow was assumed to be so universal that distant alien civilizations would understand it."  The arrow is a simple, universal symbol that represents a direction or conveys a directive message.  There is no doubt that it can be universally understood.  As just one example, my husband works with individuals with special needs.  Many of them are unable to read or speak so they use communication devices.  Through icons and symbols such as arrows, they are able to understand and communicate messages.

I have found that I regularly use arrows as well.  I draw them on the calendar to indicate until which date a certain event will last. I write them when proofreading or editing writing.  I use arrows when creating sewing or scrapbooking projects.  I use arrows to teach my preschool-age daughter left and right.  The arrow symbol is easy for people of all ages and cultures to understand  and for multiple purposes.  It has been around for centuries and there is no question that it will continue to be used for centuries to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment